High School Softball
Newsday's high school writers keep you updated on the big games and stories in high school softball.
Class AA 1. Bay Shore 2. Longwood 3. Hills West 4. East Islip 5. Commack 6. Smithtown West 7. Hauppauge 8. Eastport-South Manor 9. Smithtown East 10. West Islip 11. Connetquot 12. Sachem East 13. Centereach The Pick: Bay Shore is unbeaten at 19-0 and has earned the right to be the pre-tournament favorite. They have an ace hurler in Michelle DeVito to go along with arguably the county’s top player,...Read more »
1. Bay Shore (12-0)- Last Monday’s 4-2 win over Longwood was perhaps their most impressive win to date. Against Floyd the following day, Michelle DeVito went 5-for-5 as the Maruaders cruised to a 15-2 win. 2. Longwood (10-1)- Sierra Noud worked out of a bases-loaded with no-out jam in the top of the seventh of Monday’s 2-1 win over Sachem East; a big win following last week’s loss to Bay...Read more »
1. Bay Shore (8-0)- Pitcher Michelle DeVito went 3-0 this past week for the Marauders, including a nine-inning effort in a 5-4 win against Commack. Courtney Syrett hit two home runs in Thursday’s 17-4 victory against Patchogue-Medford. 2. Longwood (8-1)- Monday's 4-2 loss to Bay Shore proved that they belonged with Suffolk’s top team. 3. Half Hollow Hills West (7-2)- Francesca Casalino allowed three...Read more »
1. Bay Shore (7-0)- The battery of pitcher Michelle DeVito and catcher Courtney Syrett has propelled the Marauders in the first year of the post-Jim McGowan era. Shortstop Giana Panariello is as surehanded as they come. 2. Longwood (7-0)- Longwood’s comeback win against Commack last Tuesday moved them into sole possession of first place in League I. 3. Smithtown East (6-0)- Pitcher Samantha Moss...Read more »
Since its move to League I this year, the Commack softball machine has been rolling. A 14-1 record has put the Cougar’s at the head of the League’s class, and they’re a strong contender to go deep into the playoffs. But on Monday, they’ll be playing for more than just a “W”: they’ll be playing for a cure.
Commack will don pink jersey’s and host...Read more »
2010 NYSSCOGS/NYSSWASoftball State Rankings - week 3Poll editor: Perry L. Novaksports@oneidadispatch.com,email@example.com (April 28-May 4)updates due Tue. nights or Wed. mornings
Class AA1: 15-0 Bay Shore-112: 12-0 Shenendehowa-23: 10-0 Clarence-64: 16-1 Tottenville-PSAL5: 16-0 St. Joseph by the Sea-CHS6: 8-1 North Rockland-17: 8-0-1 Cicero-North Syracuse-38: 14-1 Commack-119: 10-0 Ketcham-110:...Read more »
Hopefully this will be a regular feature throughout the year, but for now we'll start it up in order with League I (image at the top is of Commack second baseman Nicole Hagenah):
Standings as of 4:30 p.m. on 4/22:
1. Commack (9-1, 9-1)2. Sachem East (8-2, 7-2)3. William Floyd (5-5, 5-4)4. Longwood (6-4, 5-4)5. Patchogue-Medford (4-5, 4-5)6. Ward Melville (2-7, 2-7)7. Brentwood (0-9,...Read more »
13 Long Island schools made the cut this week, led by Bay Shore at No. 2 (pic at the top is of Bay Shore's Taylor McGowan):
2010 NYSSCOGS/NYSSWASoftball State Rankings - week 1
Class AA1: 12-0 Tottenville-PSAL2: 10-0 Bay Shore-113: 5-0 Horseheads-44: 9-0 Columbia-25: 8-0 East Meadow-86: 12-0 St. Joseph by the Sea-CHS7: 4-0 Clarence-68: 4-0-1 Liverpool-39: 9-1 Commack-1110: 6-0 Shenendehowa-211:...Read more »
For the week ending April 17:Batting Average:Meg Brewer, Bayport - .760Ashley Goldstein, Sachem East - .656Cat Franzone, Bay Shore - .652Marissa Brightman, Bay Shore - .625Samantha Laird, Sachem East - .621Deanna Wolf, Sachem East - .607Kayla McCoy, Smithtown West - .560Samantha Capobianco, Glenn - .560Melissa Kelly, HHH West - .556Samantha Smith, Sachem East - .536Kasey Gilbride, Pierson/Bridgehampton...Read more »
Well that was a long time wasn’t it? But the nine-month wait is over and we’re back with softball in Suffolk. The previews should be hitting the newsstands in a few weeks, but I thought I would post the changes (so far) made to the 2010 softball landscape with a few thoughts.
- Commack to League 1- Lindenhurst to League 2- North Babylon to League 3- Copiague to League 4- Harborfields...Read more »