High School Softball
Newsday's high school writers keep you updated on the big games and stories in high school softball.
1. Bay Shore (12-0)- Last Monday’s 4-2 win over Longwood was perhaps their most impressive win to date. Against Floyd the following day, Michelle DeVito went 5-for-5 as the Maruaders cruised to a 15-2 win. 2. Longwood (10-1)- Sierra Noud worked out of a bases-loaded with no-out jam in the top of the seventh of Monday’s 2-1 win over Sachem East; a big win following last week’s loss to Bay...Read more »
1. Bay Shore (7-0)- The battery of pitcher Michelle DeVito and catcher Courtney Syrett has propelled the Marauders in the first year of the post-Jim McGowan era. Shortstop Giana Panariello is as surehanded as they come. 2. Longwood (7-0)- Longwood’s comeback win against Commack last Tuesday moved them into sole possession of first place in League I. 3. Smithtown East (6-0)- Pitcher Samantha Moss...Read more »
LI Softball Weekly includes the League I race, League IV race and a powerhouse in Class B. Sorry for the late posting, there were some technical problems.
1. In the last week of the season, League I is up for grabs between three teams: Commack, Sachem East and Longwood. All three are within a game of the title, and the teams are really battling it out. Commack beat Longwood last Tuesday, 10-7,...Read more »
2011 NYSSCOGS/NYSSWASoftball State Rankings - week 5 (May 9-15, 2011)Poll editor: Perry L. Novaksports@oneidadispatch.com,email@example.com
Class AA1: 14-0 C-NS-31: 17-0 Bay Shore-113: 18-1 Tottenville-PSAL4: 12-2 North Rockland-15: 12-3 Corning-46: 15-2 MacArthur-87: 13-3 Shenendehowa-28: 14-2 Valley Central-99: 10-3 Ketcham-110: 14-3 Hauppauge-1111: 19-4 St. Joe Sea-CHSAA12: 9-3 Williamsville...Read more »
2011 NYSSCOGS/NYSSWASoftball State Rankings - week 4 (May 2-8, 2011)Poll editor: Perry L. Novaksports@oneidadispatch.com,firstname.lastname@example.org
Class AA1: 11-0 C-NS-31: 14-0 Bay Shore-113: 12-2 John Jay EF-14: 12-1 North Rockland-15: 15-1 Tottenville-PSAL6: 7-1 Clarence-67: 10-1 Pine Bush-98: 12-4 Bethlehem-29: 13-3 Corning-410: 12-2 Hauppauge-1111: 12-3 Shaker-212: 14-2 MacArthur-813: 14-3 St....Read more »
Brianne Herr e-mailed me while I was on vacation with a truly amazing story. One of her players nearly lost a leg, and was now back hitting, pitching and running the bases. It took us awhile to get it in the paper, but we wanted to make sure it came out right. I think it came out that way today.
This is an example of the story writing for the writer. I just sat back and let those involved...Read more »
The theme of this week's Softball Around the Diamond on MSG Varsity is "youth movement." Your humble LI reporter talks St. Anthony's and how the Friars have two stellar underclassmen hurlers AND a Smithtown East team that (much like a fine wine) will only get better with age....Read more »
This week on MSG Varsity's LI Softball Weekly we discuss aces in Farmingdale, power hitters at MacArthur, an East Islip team that always seems to be strong and a sparkplug for Hauppauge. I also try out wearing a black shirt and pink tie (I'm a writer; not a fashion expert). Click the highlighted text in each description for articles written about these teams this year:
1. Isabella Corrao,...Read more »
2011 NYSSCOGS/NYSSWASoftball State Rankings - week 3 (April 25-May 1, 2011)Poll editor: Perry L. Novaksports@oneidadispatch.com,email@example.com
Class AA1: 11-0 Bay Shore-112: 6-0 Clarence-63: 4-0 C-NS-34: 7-0 North Rockland-15: 6-0 Valley Central-96: 5-0 Ketcham-17: 14-3 St. Joe Sea-CHSAA8: 9-1 Corning-49: 11-1 Tottenville-PSAL10: 7-1 Vestal-411: 10-1 Deer Park-1112 6-1 John Jay EF-113:...Read more »
This week on LI Softball Weekly for MSG Varsity we discussed a speedster in Babylon, an ace in Plainedge, two young, top CHSAA hurlers and a surprise in West Babylon.
(1) Christine Desiderio, Babylon. She's a great hitter (18-for-33), but her real asset comes on the base paths. Last year she stole 43 bags (yes, you read that right) and she's already swiped 14 in 11 games this year. She...Read more »