Latest news and conversation around the news from Westchester, Rockland and the Hudson Valley.
BloggersSarah Armaghan Nik Bonopartis John Dyer Meghan E. Murphy Timothy O'Connor Matt Sartwell Kenneth Schachter Jillian Sederholm Christian Wade Thomas Zambito Ryan Chatelain Mae Cheng Karl de Vries Nirmal Mitra
Chinese and a movie: What's open today
What's a Jewish Christmas?
Urban Dictionary puts it concisely: "Chinese food and a movie. That's it."
For Jews, it long since has transitioned from a tradition to a cliche, and for good reason: For a long time, Chinese restaurants and movie theaters were among the very few places to remain open on Christmas day.
Here are some of the best local picks for Christmas Day:
* Aberdeen Seafood and Dim Sum, 3 Barket Ave., White Plains, 914-288-0188
* Hunan Village II, 222 East Hartsdale Ave., Hartsdale, 914-472-3838
* Golden Wok Cafe, 875 Saw Mill River Rd., Ardsley, 914-693-2110.
* Gin Ban Asian Bistro Sushi Bar, 421 Mamaroneck Av., Mamaroneck, 914-777-8889.
* Lum Yen, 100 W. Boston Post Rd., Mamaroneck, 914-698-6881.
Feeling adventurous? Serious Eats has compiled a list of 20 great Chinese restaurants in New York City within walking distance of movie theaters.
Other things to do on Christmas Day:
* The Muppet Movie: A classic that opens Christmas Day at the Jacob Burns Film Center, 364 Manville Road, Pleasantville. Tickets: $11 for adult non-members, $6 for members; $6.50 for kids. Noon showing through Dec. 28.
* Take a twirl on the ice: Although most rink time is devoted to hockey games, hockey clinics, skating lessons and freestyle sessions, Sport-o-Rama in Monsey is open to the public on Wednesdays and the weekends (20 College Rd., Monsey; 845-356-3919; www.sportorama.com). But if you prefer to watch others take to the ice, there will be a holiday show at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 27, featuring figure skaters Samantha Cesario and James Schetelich, both of whom will compete in the 2013 U.S. Figure Skating Championships in January.
Cost: $6 admission on Wednesday, $8 on Saturday, $9 on Sunday and during Christmas week. Skate rentals are $3 for all ages.
Public hours: Wed.: 4:10-5:10 p.m.; Sat.: 3:15-4:55 p.m., 9-11 p.m.; Sun.: 2:55-4:30 p.m. During Christmas week. the venue is open from 2 to 4:30 p.m.
*Make a list of holiday week fun. Newsday's got 30 can't miss suggestions for winter.
Tags: Christmas , Christmas Day , Chinese food , Chinese restaurants , Westchester County , Hunan , Aberdeen , White Plains , dim sum , Golden Wok , movies , movie theaters , Mamaroneck , Asian bistro , Asian fusion