Steve Zipay takes you inside the locker room, home and on the road, with the New York Rangers, and also writes about the NHL, off and on the ice.
Live from MSG: Eight pre-Game 2 thoughts
1. Sitting in press box, sipping a Coke, kind of miss watching Caps G Braden Holtby's pre-game ritual of staring/meditating/ from behind the glass at the Seventh Avenue end.
2. Devs did pretty well offensively first 40 minutes Monday, wondering why---if it happens---coach DeBoer puts Kovy, Parise and Zajac together. I'd try it at home for Game Three, last change and all. Sign of a little desperation?
3. Looks like same lineup for Rangers. But I wonder if Stu Bickel falters, we'll see Steve Eminger at some point in this series, especially if it goes six or seven.
4. I sincerely doubt Devils are going head-hunting on slapshots. I mean, just because Martin Brodeur should have bit his tongue, it appeared to me to be off-the-cuff and not meanspirtied. Now if a knucklehead (no names, but remember the brawls?) said it, it would cause a media ruckus.
5. Coyotes' Martin Hanzal deservedly suspended for Game 3 in LA for that vicious boarding from behind. The Kings look awfully deep. Really don't see Phoenix beating them four of five. Series could be over in five.
6. Rangers PK will have to be stellar again tonight. I have a feeling Devs might get one with the man-advantage.
7. Having said that. there also could be a shorthanded goal in this series for one or the other teams. And an overtime game.
8. Listened to a live Sir Douglas Quintet set in Texas for part of a workout, which has become a healthy gameday thing (Andrew Gross and I can use the stress-reducing exercise, believe me) over at the NY Sports Club on 23rd and Eighth. Now I can't get "Mendocino" and that Vox organ outta my head.