Saturday Storylines: Del Zotto, Lundqvist/Biron, B2B in NC
- Will Michael Del Zotto’s elbow---with his back turned---that caught a charging James Neal in the head, trigger a hearing? Likely. Suspension-worthy? Who can tell anymore? Dept. of Player Safety has to determine intent, point of contact, track record. Was it not intentional, but reckless? I’ll venture a guess: One game. Hamrlik or Gilroy slides in with Moore on 3rd pair. Eminger moves up.
2. Has Henrik Lundqvist’s left hamstring, which he said he stretched on the shootout save on Evgeni Malkin, responded well enough to play? We’ll find out later. Given the back-to-back, I’m figuring we’ll see Martin Biron in the net in Raleigh tonight. Why push it anyway? And maybe they were leaning Biron even before the hammy, given the B2B. They are 1-3 in second of B2Bs, FYI, and 2-4 on Saturdays, but this is a suddenly-gritty Blueshirts, looking more like last year’s squad.
3. Speaking of the B2B, should be interesting to see how the flashback Rangers respond after a rugged 65 minutes-plus. Canes will likely have Dan Ellis in goal.
4. 2-0-1 in April so far. Maybe it won’t be the cruelest month.
5. Rangers scheduled for optional skate in Raleigh. Torts will have media scrum pre-game. Will be in air to North Carolina, but update everyone later.