Steve Zipay takes you inside the locker room, home and on the road, with the New York Rangers, and also writes about the NHL, off and on the ice.
Philly Primer: What 2 Watch 4 tonight
1. Without top forwards Rick Nash, Ryan Callahan and Carl Hagelin again, and with the added wrinkle of goaltender Cam Talbot making his NHL debut subbing for injured Henrik Lundqvist, coach Alain Vigneault is thinking that a defensive effort that hopefully will create some transition opportunities, is in order. "Close to the vest" is the term he used again, as he did prior to the Devils game.
2. The lineup: Well, Mats Zuccarello is out, and 6-foot-4 Brandon Mashinter is in. Michael Del Zotto (flu, scratch) returns on D, and Justin Falk sits.
3. C Brad Richards is on right wing with Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider.
4. Steve Mason (1-5 but with a 2.37 GAA) is in goal for the Flyers and C Vinny Lecavalier is back from the sidelines, and also will play on the wing.
5. If anything, the Flyers (1-4 at home) have guys who have stung the Rangers in the past: Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek, to name two. Overall, slight edge to the Broad Street boys tonight. Rangers will need to score more than a goal or two, methinks.
More from the rink during warmups later...