A mixed martial arts blog about UFC, Bellator and other MMA promotions and fighters.
Mark La Monica
I write in too many blogs to create individual profiles for each. So, whether you get roped into my musings on pop culture, "Entourage," mixed martial arts or the NFL, here are some things you should know about me:
1) No one's meatballs are as good as your mother's. It's undebatable.
2) "The Godfather III" and "Rocky V" get a bum rap. They're not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
3) Randy "Macho Man" Savage is the forgotten man when it comes to old-school pro wrestling discussions.
4) If YouTube stopped existing, it would create quite a problem for us. How would we waste time at work? Where would all the things we push off until later go?
5) The hug in the ocean between Rocky and Apollo in "Rocky III" makes absolutely no sense, but it's impossible to change the channel when it comes on.
6) MTV doesn't need to play more videos, just create more channels that play videos.
7) Just chill to the next episode.
8) When is someone going to create a garlic-scented cologne? Or perhaps a hand cream of some sort?
9) ADA Jack McCoy would kick ADA Ben Stone's patoot any day in court, but Paul Robinette would smoke Jamey Ross, Abby Carmichael, Claire Kincaid, Danielle Borgia and Connie Rubirosa.
10) I nearly dumped a girlfriend who thought my clapping in 1995 when Don Mattingly finally reached the playoffs was "childish."
11) Lauren Conrad. I'm just saying.
12) Yo Mona Lisa, could I get a date on Friday? And if you're busy, I wouldn't mind taking Saturday-ay-ay, ay-ay-ay.
13) What's up, guy?
15) Seeing Red Sox fans wretch at the mention of Wade Boggs on the horse in the Yankee Stadium is almost as funny as the episode of "Cheers" when Sam Malone and the rest of them "pantsed Wade Boggs."
16) I believe that after your favorite player retires or gets traded or signs elsewhere, there needs to be a one-year grace period before carefully selecting your next favorite player.
17) Swedish Fish, Mountain Dew make the world go round. Duct tape is a close third.
18) Twitter is the worst invention in history. Wait, how many characters was that?
A loss and an injury later, Anthony Leone gets a shot at the Bellator bantamweight title this Friday.
The loss was his, the injury was his opponent's. Rafael Silva beat Leone, who grew up in Center Moriches, last October in the Bellator 2013 Summer Series tournament finale to earn the title shot against Eduardo Dantas. But Silva injured his knee last month and had to pull out of the fight,...Read more »
Most of the time when we throw a Chris "Mad Dog" Russo blog post at you with embedded audio, it's because he's going off on one of his classic rants.
This time, that's not the case. But it's "Mad Dog" talking baseball with Don Mattingly about the state of the Los Angeles Dodgers at the moment.
Mattingly addressed Matt Kemp's health, all things Yasiel Puig and more. The audio is embedded...Read more »
MMA Platinum Gloves begins its second season on March 29 at The Sports Arena in St. James.
Here's a look at the latest fight card. More details and tickets available at mmaplatinumgloves.com.
Prince Uchegbu vs. Stephen Pritchett
Rufat Abbasov vs. Nick Fiore
Danny Ochart vs. Punhan Guliyev
Frankie...Read more »
Since his upset win over Tim Boetsch at the end of 2012, Costas Philippou has dropped his last two fights.
The Massapequa Park resident, ranked No. 10 in the UFC middleweight division, gets his next chance to climb back up the ladder. Philippou (12-4, 5-3 UFC) will fight Lorenz Larkin at UFC Fight Night in Cincinnati on May 10. Both parties have verbally agreed to the bout, the UFC said Sunday.
Larkin...Read more »