A mixed martial arts blog about UFC, Bellator and other MMA promotions and fighters.
At age 34, loser of his last two fights and 0-3 in his last three title fights, it's fair to wonder where Frank Mir is at in his career.
Is he a title hopeful still, or is it about "the big fights" for the former UFC heavyweight champion? Mir is certainly not the first fighter to face such a question.
"I don't concede to the fact to just try to put on great fights," Mir said on the UFC 164 conference call earlier this week. "An outcome of my drive is to actually work back towards a title. I don't see it as a situation where that is no longer within my grasp."
Mir is ranked No. 6 in the UFC's heavyweight division, and his opponent next Saturday -- Josh Barnett -- is ranked No. 10. He looked sluggish in a decision against Daniel Cormier last April and was knocked out in the second round against then-champion Junior Dos Santos in May 2012.
It is not inconceivable to think that Mir (16-7) is just a few fights away (perhaps as few as three?) from another title shot. Some things would have to go his way, sure, but in MMA, if you stick around long enough, it can happen. All it takes is an injury or two to another fighter and then, well, you know the deal.
"The training I'm doing now to where I'm at in life and stuff, being only 34 years of age, I don't really see it as an issue to concede to the face that, 'Oh, I'm only going to fight for it to be an entertaining fight, just add it on to a card," Mir said. "That's just not where I'm at in my life."