Top 10 most outrageous sports moments in 2010
Related mediaTop covers of 2010 2010's Most popular videos Notable deaths of 2010 2010's top 10 LI business stories Top 10 Most "Liked" Top 10 politics stories of 2010
A Phillies fan gets tasered? LeBron did what? Here's a look at 2010’s top 10 most outrageous moments in sports.
10. Too much information? After the Lakers beat the Celtics in the NBA Finals on June 17, the post-game camera panned to Lakers guard Ron Artest, who thanked a host of people in his life for the Los Angeles victory, including his psychiatrist, everyone in his “hood,” and his wife. Don’t forget, he “got a single coming out, too.”
Ron Artest gives thanks
9. No sweet science. This is an example of when action outside the ring becomes more thrilling what's in it. After middleweight Jake Shields defeated Dan Henderson on April 17, at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn., he made his victory speech. But midspeech, Jason “Mayhem” Miller, who Shields had beaten in November, stole the microphone and voiced his wish for a rematch. That’s when things turned ugly.
Shields and Miller duke it out
8. Hoops and right hooks. Brittney Griner, Baylor University’s 6-foot, 8-inch standout freshman center, was fouled by Texas Tech forward and aggressive defensewoman Jordan Barncastle on March 4. Griner’s retaliation? A powerful right hook, which led to her ejection. But the loss of the player didn’t hurt Baylor, as it proved victorious over Texas Tech, 69-60. Griner had 21 points in the win.
The Griner hit
7. Phillies fan tasered. Steve Consalvi may have gotten more than he bargained for when he leaped for his 15 minutes of fame and ran onto the field during the Cardinals v. Phillies game on May 4 at the Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. Consalvi, 17, spent a night in jail after he was captured when a police officer tasered him on the field.
The taser incident
6. Paul the octopus. An octopus at the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany, fascinated soccer fans worldwide when he successfully picked the outcomes of eight World Cup games. The cephalopod known as Paul made his pick by opening the lid of one of two clear plastic boxes, each containing a mussel and bearing a team flag. The octopus even received several death threats for its picks. It died in October at age 2. The World Cup ended in July.
Paul’s final prediction
5. No smackdown for McMahon. Linda McMahon, the former chief executive of World Wrestling Entertainment, spent $40 million of her own money to win a U.S. Senate seat from Connecticut but was defeated by the Democrat, Richard Blumenthal. During the campaign she came within 3 points of Blumenthal, but it wasn't close on Election Day.
4.Toot, toot tootsies. As holiday preparations reached a fever pitch, website Deadspin.com posted a video of a woman, who it claimed is Jets football coach Rex Ryan’s wife, Michelle Ryan, showing off her feet in a way some might find enticing. The man's voice on the video sounds eerily similar to the Jets coach. Rex Ryan has refused to answer any questions about the video.
3. Taking unruly to a new level. A Phillies fan gave rowdy a more revolting definition when he vomited on an 11-year-old girl in the stands during a Phillies-Nationals game at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia. Matthew Clemmons, 21, threw up on the girl after his friend had been ejected from the stadium for unruly behavior.
The “Vomit” Fan
2. LeBron turns on the Heat. “I’m taking my talents to South Beach.” No, not New York or back to Cleveland. One of a kind Heat forward LeBron James had his own ESPN special, “The Decision,” during which he announced he would go to Miami for the 2010-11 season after he became a free agent from the Cavaliers. James took a lot of flack for his decision after long talks with the Knicks, but may have gained back some respect with his new Nike commercial in which he questions his decision.
1. Into the sticky thicket. Does it really even require anymore talk? Famed golfer Tiger Woods had his adulterous escapades and marital problems aired very publicly worldwide. He apologized, his wife left him, his girlfriends have tried to cash-in on their 15 minutes of fame. Talk about a media circus.
Apology of the year