A student reportedly caught with a "hit list" at Suffern Middle School last week was engaging in a prank that was dealt with by the school, according to a school official.
Suffern Middle School Principal Brian Fox wrote an email to parents Sunday, saying that "a recent prank" by a student was dealt with in a thorough and timely manner.
Sources told News12 on Saturday that a student at the school was caught with a "hit list." Suffern Mayor Dagan Lacorte confirmed that he'd been in contact with school officials about the student. He said there was no active threat to schools.
"It's a matter that's been addressed and is being addressed by the school district," Lacorte told Newsday. "Obviously, school safety is something that's very important to me, as a parent of two young girls. We want to make sure that the school environment is safe."
Fox noted in his email to parents that the school would not release details of the incident, but he said it was handled appropriately.
"When our students resume their classes tomorrow, they will be doing so in the same safe building they left last Thursday, before the snowstorm," Fox wrote.
The reports prompted concern among residents, especially in the wake of the Dec. 14 school shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
"In the context of what's going on in the world, things like this happen, and we can understand that. But in a small town like this, it's a little bit upsetting ... it really is," Suffern resident Jack Meyers told News12.
Ramapo police said the detectives handling the incident were not available for comment Sunday.
Ramapo Central School District Superintendent Douglas Adams did not return requests for comment Saturday and Sunday.
Lacorte said that following the Connecticut tragedy, emergency drills at all Suffern schools were being increased with the help of Ramapo police.