Join Robert Cassidy with ringside seats in the world of Boxing.
Carlos Quintana calls out Canelo Alvarez
With no opponent following Paul Williams’ tragic accident and James Kirkland’s decision to back out, Mexican sensation Canelo Alvarez needs a fight on September 15.
Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs) has become a household name in boxing circles. Dominating wins over Shane Mosley, Kermit Cintron and Alfonso Gomez over the last year has made the WBC 154-pound champion the number one target on everyone’s radar.
Carlos Quintana (29-3, 23 KOs), who recently celebrated a knockout of DeAndre Latimore on the Floyd Mayweather-Miguel Cotto undercard, issues a challenge to Alvarez.
"It would be a great matchup between me and Canelo," said Quintana. "Stylistically, we both like to come forward and mix it up and with the fight being on Mexican Independence Day. The longstanding rivalry between Mexico and Puerto Rico will only add to what promises to be an exciting fight."
It would also be a matcup featuring age vs. youth. Alvarez, 21, will celebrated his 22nd birthday on July 18. Quintana is 35, but believes he is in the midst of a renaissance.
"Everyone in boxing knows what type of fighter I am and that I have fought some of the best names in the business. People have been asking to see Canelo in a real fight, and that's exactly what it would be if he stepped into the ring with me."
Golden Boy Promotions, the promoter for Alvarez hasn’t said anything publicly about the Mexican star’s future since the Williams accident or Kirkland’s decision to pull out, but industry insiders believe a fight with Quintana can be made quickly.