The 2016 ski season continues to offer options for adventure. Here are five destinations.
1. TELLURIDE, COLORADO Offering beauty and trendy but casual eateries swathed in small-town charm, this high mountain hot spot offers deals at multiple prices. The Fairmont Franz Klammer Lodge Heritage Place package features accommodations in a two- or three-bedroom residence, two adult lift tickets daily, complimentary airport transfers, ski valet and valet parking. Latitude 38 offers accommodations in downtown Telluride as well as Mountain Village. Guests receive free lift tickets for all adults in the group when accommodations are booked.
2. BIG SKY/MOONLIGHT BASIN, MONTANA With programs offering free stuff for kids, multiple new terrain parks and a kids adventure area, there is plenty to encourage families to visit this vast winter wonderland. Seasoned skiers may vote for a guided “first tracks” program to experience fresh powder and the beauty of an early morning on the mountain.
3. FLAGSTAFF, ARIZONA Buy two adult lift tickets for the Arizona Snowbowl and your hotel stay is free when you participate in this northern Arizona town’s program, Ski and Stay Free. Pair your time on the mountain with a trip to the Grand Canyon 70 miles north or travel south (120 miles) and warm up in Phoenix.
4. SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO This year, the city has launched a program to welcome skiers 12 and younger featuring free lodging, meals and culturally immersive activities. Ski Santa Fe’s Chipmunk Corner offers snowbound kids and their parents a menu of options for the smallest skiers as well as top-notch instruction on more than 660 acres of Rocky Mountain terrain.
5. SNOWMASS, COLORADO Kids visiting this family-friendly resort can expect activities ranging from storytelling to wildlife adventures to selfies with Snowy the Mammoth. Gather for a family bowling night at Slopeside Lanes and free after-ski parties for kids on Saturdays in Base Village. From March 1 through April 17, rent children’s ski equipment from Four Mountain Sports and receive a free lift ticket.