It may be difficult to leave your four-legged friends at home when you travel. Here are five places that sit up and take notice of your pets.
1. CHICAGO Loews Hotels and Resorts were among the first chains to throw open their doors to pet-loving guests. Offering dog treats and puppy beds, guests and their four-legged friends feel welcome at the 22 properties dotting the United States and Canada. With a Yappy Hour that serves specialty drinks like Snooptinis and puppyccinos, why leave Fido behind?
2. SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA You've heard of yoga's downward facing dog? Now you and Spot can get your om on together during the W Scottsdale resort's free monthly yoga classes for dogs and their humans. Salute the sun in class and then head for nearby hiking trails in the McDowell Mountains.
3. MINNEAPOLIS Whether you are checking out the university options, popping in for a game at Target Field or want to preview the new Viking stadium, your pup will stay in style -- argyle style -- at Commons Hotel. Designer patterned beds and bowls will be delivered by the Bark Butler, along with menu selections sure to please.
4. FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA Check into the W's Doggie Suite, and the proper amenities will be waiting, including a Tinkle Turf pad on the balcony. The Bark Box delivered to your room promises healthy doggy snacks, toys and a special menu with offerings that include organic salmon fillet and steamed asparagus. And dog walkers are always happy to take Fido for a stroll.
5. CARMEL, CALIFORNIA Every dog has its day, and at Cypress Inn, it's film star Doris Day, who co-owns the hotel, where four-legged friends are always welcome. Pups can rest on a complimentary blanket, or join their owner at Terry's lounge after a "ruff" day. Shop with Spot at the Carmel Boutique Inns or talk a walk together along Carmel Beach. Ask about pet-sitting services at the desk.
INFO cypress-inn.com, carmelboutiqueinns.com