How will your family vacation this summer? Here are five creative ideas.
1. SPOIL YOURSELVES IN SUNNY ISLES BEACH, FLORIDA Head to Acqualina Resort & Spa, a luxury resort between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, where you’ll enjoy water sports, build sand castles or take a stroll on the beach. Several pool areas, designed for different age groups, give way to a grassy play and relaxation zone where soccer and lawn games are popular.
INFO acqualinaresort.com15 places every kid must see in the U.S.
2. LEARN A NEW SPORT AT BEACHES IN TURKS AND CAICOS Get a lesson in scuba diving, become a certified sailor and balance on a stand-up paddle board. Then carve out time to snorkel, paddle a sea kayak, wind your way down water slides and climb aboard a giant, seafaring bicycle. Refuel between outings at any of 21 restaurants where options range from fresh pineapple to spicy jerk chicken.
3. WONDER AT THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER IN HOLLYWOOD The recent opening of California’s Wizarding World of Harry Potter, inspired by J.K. Rowling’s tales, means chocolate frogs and Butterbeer are among your culinary options. Young muggles and wizards can experience the Flight of the Hippogriff, Universal Studios Hollywood’s first outdoor roller coaster, as well as a 3-D high-definition adventure where Hogwarts castle is the focal point.
4. GET INSPIRED AT THE EXPLORATORIUM IN SAN FRANCISCO More than 600 exhibits, housed on 3.3 acres, will encourage every member of the family to see the world differently. Kids will be engaged by shadow, light, bubbles and color as a means of stimulating exploration and discovery. They can also create a marble machine, study plankton populations and check out an upside-down world in this internationally renowned center characterized as a “mad scientist’s penny arcade.”
5. GO WILD IN SOSSUSVLEI, NAMIBIA Check into Little Kulala, a desert eco-retreat within southern Africa’s Kulala Wilderness Reserve. Climb aboard a Land Rover to scope out desert-adapted springbok, ostrich and oryx, or float above the dramatic landscape in a hot-air balloon. Visit (and slide down) the world’s tallest dunes amid Namibia’s famed red Sand Sea.