It’s time to make some travel resolutions for 2016. Here are five to consider.
1. TRAVEL FOR ADVENTURE Define your clan’s adrenaline limits. Consider a theme park such as Hersheypark, where roller coaster cravings and tasty chocolate combine for family fun. For a more amped-up outing, consider white-water action in the Grand Canyon, on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho or on West Virginia’s Gauley River.
2. TRAVEL TO RELAX Check in to a luxury resort where the mesmerizing view, impeccable service and options for family fun will be enough to lower your blood pressure. At the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, you can sleep at the gateway to world-class skiing, hiking, fly-fishing and two of the most breathtaking national parks. Take advantage of the heated pool, top-notch spa and fine dining.
3. TRAVEL WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY Multigenerational vacations can be a great way for families to bond. Cruises and all-inclusive resorts provide easy-to-predict pricing and built-in activities for every age group. Tour companies like Road Scholar specialize in creating compelling itineraries for all ages.
4. TRAVEL TO LEARN A family trip is one of the best educational tools available. Take guided tours in faraway places or visit a local museum. Learn about communities and culture at the world’s largest folk-art museum in Santa Fe or gain insight into the atrocities of World War II during a heart-wrenching tour of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Learn about animal behaviors at a nearby zoo or animal park.
5. TRAVEL SMART Use apps to make the most of your travel time and resources. Organize your details with TripIt. Use GasBuddy on road trips. If your plans go awry, know that Hotel Tonight can help track down a last-minute place to stay. And turn to GateGuru for airport security and restaurant info in case of flight delays or layovers.