Top runners' favorite shoes
Whether you're a marathon runner or just starting out, wearing the right sneakers is key before you hit the track.
We asked some of the best runners from the 2010 to 2012 Long Island Marathons for their top running shoe recommendations.
Dan and Shaun McGrath, speedy brothers from Lynbrook who are both past winners, said they prefer something lightweight but with enough support to run serious distances. Lindsey Block of Huntington's feet felt free as she finished before every other woman in 2012 in her non-constricting Brooks Green Silence shoes.
Check out their recommendations and the picks of other men and women who have been among the first to cross the finish line.
-- Nina Ruggiero
More in Travel
- 5 cool places to buy vinyl in NYC
- Annapolis, Md.
- NYC weekend picks: The Big Egg Hunt
- Grilled cheese in NYC: 8 sandwiches to enjoy
- Relics of NYC World's Fair
- Travel gear and gadgets for when you're on the go
- The beauty of Death Valley
- 5 must-shop flea markets in NYC
- 5 quick getaways for Long Islanders
- Florida Keys
- 10 weird things you never knew about NYC
- Travel photographs from around the world
- Outdoor adventures in New York City
- The 12 most unusual hotels
- Beginner's guide to Provence
- 10 stunning spas around the world
- Visiting Israel's holy, historic and tourist sites
- Visit Atlantic City
- Cruise ships, big and small
- Virginia Beach
- Nevis Island
- 11 NYC Restaurant Week deals you can't miss
- Wine tours in Argentina
- Safari in Uganda
- Animals on the loose on LI, in NY Kate Middleton's must-see looks
- 40 LIers spill on their favorite beers Pets waiting for adoption on LI
- Instagram photos of LI pets 39 delicious dessert recipes
- 5 cool places to buy vinyl in NYC Annapolis, Md.
- NYC weekend picks: The Big Egg Hunt Eco-friendly at home for Earth Day
- A look at high-tech bathroom add-ons 101 new stores on LI
- Prom fashion through the years Go green: Eco-friendly fashion and beauty
- Grilled cheese in NYC: 8 sandwiches to enjoy This year's hottest prom dress trends
- X-Team: Dog Days at Old Westbury Gardens Animals around the world
- 11 creative sandwich recipes Relics of NYC World's Fair
- Travel gear and gadgets for when you're on the go Good buys for foodies
- The beauty of Death Valley 5 must-shop flea markets in NYC