Looking to rent a vacation spot this summer? Here are 10 tips before signing the lease.
1. Don’t base your decision on a description. “Rustic atmosphere,” for example, could mean no indoor shower.
2. Do some research and read reviews.
3. Don’t wire money for deposits or payments through Western Union.
4. Never send a check to a post office box.
5. Make sure the contract spells out what your rental includes.
6. Ask if a property manager or owner will be nearby.
7. Don’t assume the mattresses are new. Ask when they were last replaced.
8. Confirm how and when your deposit will be returned.
9. Don’t unpack before you take photos or video of the home’s condition when you arrive.
10. Take photos and video of the home’s condition at the end of your stay as well.