Broadway's 'Spider-Man' to return Thursday after safety measures taken

Spider-Man

Spider-Man (Credit: Getty)

Injury-ridden Broadway show “Spider-Man” didn’t reopen Wednesday night as scheduled but will resume Thursday night after being given the go-ahead by state officials who have required that a handful of safety procedures be implemented in the aftermath of an actor’s 30-foot fall into the orchestra pit.

The state Department of Labor issued the safety mandates after investigating the serious fall of stunt double Chris Tierney, 32, near the end of Monday performance. Tierney was the fourth actor injured in the $65 million show.
 
Chief among the new regulations is a double-check system where two stagehands must verify that the harness and tether are secured before each of the show’s 38 aerial maneuvers, state officials said. The actor will then do a self-check, and a stagehand will give the OK to a stage manager.
 
“All of the accidents so far were the result of safety and health systems failures ... and we feel the new system will correct that,” said Maureen Cox, director of safety and health for the labor department.
 
The state is continuing to investigate what caused Monday’s accident, which caused Tierney to injure his ribs and suffer internal bleeding. He reportedly underwent back surgery Wednesday at Bellevue Hospital and was in serious condition.
 
Despite a growing chorus by Broadway actors to shut down the lavishly-directed Julie Taymor show, producers said yesterday that performances will continue today.
 

Tags: News , Entertainment , Spider-man , Broadway

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday