Brutal subway and bus cuts coming down the pike

Monstrous cuts to subway and bus service are coming — for real this time.

The MTA board is poised to approve $93 million in cuts Wednesday that officials have called the worst in decades.

“None of these cuts are being taking lightly. They are being taken with an awful lot of ringing of the hands and gnashing of the teeth,” NYC Transit chief Thomas Prendergast said.

The cuts will:

- Merge the V with the M train, which would cause longer waits and more crowding in Brooklyn, lower Manhattan and Queens. It could also prevent the MTA from starting an F express line in Brooklyn, as was discussed.

- Kill off the W line, making for longer waits and slower trips for 133,000 Manhattan and Brooklyn riders.

- Allow for longer waits on the No. 1, No. 7, A, F, J, L and M lines, impacting 885,000 riders.

- Cut or restructure 100 bus lines, including heavily used services like the M8 along Eight Street

The agency is expected to OK all of the changes. The MTA proposed similar service cuts last year, but revoked most of them when Albany came through with new funding. The agency’s financial picture has since deteriorated, and the service cuts barely eat into the MTA’s $750 million budget gap.

During the board meeting today, MTA officials will give some glimpse of how it will handle this year’s remaining gap, a spokesman said. Some board members are pressing the agency to adopt earlier a 7.5 percent fare hike scheduled for next year to avoid additional cuts.

Tags: mta , new york city , transit

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday