CBS' Lara Logan: I feared death as mob of men brutalized me
Lara Logan, the “60 Minutes” correspondent who was sexually assaulted by an Egyptian mob, has broken her silence about her February ordeal, saying she feared she would die in the 40-minute attack orchestrated by 200 to 300 men.
“Not only am I going to die here, but it’s going to be a torturous death that goes on forever and ever,” Logan tells her colleague, Scott Pelley, about her thoughts during the attack. The interview will air Sunday on “60 Minutes.” She also spoke to the New York Times Thursday.
When her nightmare began, Logan and her CBS crew were covering the crowds in Tahrir Square celebrating Hosni Mubarak’s resignation Feb. 11.
She had been interviewing people for about an hour when the camera’s battery “went down and we had to stop for a moment,” she recalled. That was when her interpreter, sensing menace in the throng, “looks and me says, ‘we’ve got to get out of here,’” Logan said.
Instead, she was borne away by the mob, and she told the Times she was beaten and raped by men using their hands. Egyptian soldiers and female good Samaritans rescued her.
Thoughts of her two small children gave her the will to survive the assaults, said Logan, who returned to work this week.