Chris Brown apologizes, is 'saddened' over Rihanna incident

(Credit: Urbanite)

By Jason Fink

R&B performer Chris Brown, accused of beating his singer girlfriend Rihanna, has apologized — though he didn’t say for what, exactly.

“Words cannot begin to express how sorry and saddened I am over what transpired,” Brown said in a statement released today. “I am seeking the counseling of my pastor, my mother and other loved ones and I am committed, with God's help, to emerging a better person.”

Meanwhile, the Sun newspaper reported that Rihanna has split with Brown over the alleged incident, quoting her father, Ronald Fenty, who said his daughter will speak out soon. “She doesn’t want to speak to Chris,” Fenty said.Brown, 19, allegedly left Rihanna, 20, bruised and cut on her face early on the morning of Feb. 8 after a music industry party in Los Angeles the night before the Grammies. Both had been scheduled to perform.

Police charged Brown with making a criminal threat and he was released on $50,000 bail, but the L.A. District Attorney’s office has not yet filed charges. Rihanna is recovering in her native Barbados, family said. Her father told the Sun she has “some bruising. She will be all right.”

In the statement released today, Brown did not admit to anything specific but he said much of what has been reported in the media is wrong.

“While I would like to be able to talk about this more, until the legal issues are resolved, this is all I can say except that I have not written any messages or made any posts to Facebook, on blogs or any place else,” the statement said. “Those posts or writing under my name are frauds."

Tags: chris brown , rihanna , crime , arts

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday