Give to Haiti, but watch out for scam artists: Some tips
Scammers hoping to make a quick buck have pounced on the crisis in Haiti. Here are some tips from the FBI and others to ensure you’re helping victims, not con artists:
* Don’t respond to or click links in unsolicited e-mails.
* Don’t open attachments or disaster area photos, as they may contain viruses.
* Be leery of people claiming to be victims or officials who seek donations by e-mail or on social networking sites.
* Confirm the nonprofit status of any organization you don’t recognize
* Make contributions directly to known organizations.
* Don’t give out personal or financial info to solicitors.
* Verify organizations at sites such as bbb.org or foundationcenter.org.