New York Road Runners offers marathoners refund
Seven weeks after canceling the 2012 marathon in the aftermath of superstorm Sandy, the New York Road Runners released a plan Thursday to compensate runners.
Those who were entered in the race can either receive a refund of the full entrance fee, receive guaranteed entry to the 2013, 2014, or 2015 races or have guaranteed entrance to the 2013 half marathon in March.
The 47,500 marathon entrants must make their choice between Jan. 11-25.
"We were really focused to go beyond our 'no refund' policy," Mary Wittenberg, the president and CEO of New York Road Runners said. "The options provided are the very best we can do."
The city initially decided to continue the marathon after Sandy but backtracked 48 hours before the start time following criticism.
Wittenberg said NYRR responded to feedback of what the runners wanted. She said most of the entrance fee money, which won't be refunded for those who decide to race in the coming years, was spent preparing for the 2012 race.
The mayor's office couldn't be reached for comment.
Marathoners responded with mixed feelings. "There are a lot of different groups to consider and offering multiple options gives the opportunity for everyone to pick what's best for them," Linna Fang, 27, of Queens, said.
Kelly Peterson, of San Francisco, however, wasn't pleased with the compensation. She checked her email Oct. 31 and saw that the New York Road Runners reiterated the race was still on before flying to the city.
Peterson had already picked up her bib and T-shirt, and then found out the race was canceled.
"I was devastated," Peterson, 25, said. "I was so angry. I felt it was the right decision, but at the wrong time.
Peterson, who ultimately ran her first marathon back in California, hopes to one day run in the Big Apple. She said she will mostly likely take the refund.