Rutgers to outsource Mike Rice investigation: Officials
Rutgers is set to open an independent review of how the school handled allegations that its men's basketball coach abused his players, officials said Monday.
"We believe it is in the interest of the entire Rutgers University community to fully understand the circumstances surrounding the inappropriate behavior in the men's basketball program and how they were addressed," said university president Robert Barchi and chairman of the board of governors Ralph Izzo in a joint statement.
The university received a video last year showing the coach, Mike Rice, throwing basketballs at players' heads and berating them with homophobic slurs during practices. The school originally suspended him for three games, but fired him when the video became public last week.
Meanwhile, the university's former athletic director, Tim Pernetti, who lost his job as result of the scandal, will receive $1.2 million in salary, an iPad, car allowance and two years of health insurance under his settlement agreement, reports said.