Scott Stringer calls for audit into subway deaths, says city could reach 100 this year

Police stand guard near where the body of

Police stand guard near where the body of a subway hit victim lies on Jan. 22, 2013. (Getty) (Credit: Police stand guard near where the body of a subway hit victim lies on Jan. 22, 2013. (Getty))

Manhattan borough President Scott Stringer filed a letter Wednesday to the MTA inspector general calling for a probe into the recent spate of subway deaths.

Citing the six deaths of people hit by subways already this year, Stringer wants MTA Inspector General Barry Kluger to launch an audit into subway safety, as well as look as possible solutions to curb subway deaths.

"These accidents have been happening too often and to too many New Yorkers. The time is now to search for answers," Stringer said at a news conference yesterday. "We've asked the MTA to study the feasibility of real-world solutions like platform barriers and safety doors," he said.

The MTA is already planning a pilot program to test sliding doors in an L train station, but has previously said building them systemwide would cost too much.

Stringer added that if the rate of deaths this month continues all year, the city will reach some 100 total for 2013, breaking last year's record of 55.

Stringer was joined by elected officials, including City Councilman James Vacca, as well as MTA board member Allen Cappelli.

In response to Stringer's letter, Kluger told amNewYork that he has "already discussed the matter with MTA management," the city's transit office and the Public Transportation Safety Board.

"I am coordinating our efforts regarding subway fatalities with the (PTSB), which has primary responsibility for the investigation of accidents and fatalities on the facilities of the MTA, and of which I am a member," Kluger said. He declined to say whether he would launch the audit Stringer is calling for.

Tags: NEWS , ARTICLE , AMNY , HOLD

advertisement | advertise on newsday

advertisement | advertise on newsday