NEW ROCHELLE - A family in New Rochelle was forced out of their home overnight after a fire sparked in their attic.

Flames and heavy smoke pushed out from the upper windows at around 11 p.m. yesterday at the home on Chester Place.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Fire officials say the people living at the house were able to get out safely. The fire was contained to the attic area and it took crews about a half an hour to place the blaze under control.

There is no word yet on what exactly sparked the fire.