Good Evening
Good Evening

Where LI renters can go for financial, legal help

Many LI renters are living with month-to-month anxiety

Many LI renters are living with month-to-month anxiety as the first of the month approaches and their rent comes due. Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto/relif

Where renters can go for help:


Health & Welfare Council of Long Island

Referrals for rent and other assistance programs


Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Long Island

Rent and other assistance


New York State Homes and Community Renewal

Administers the state COVID Rent Relief Program, with applications due Feb. 1


Call Center: 1-833-499-0318 or

Long Island Housing Services

Housing counseling services



Nassau County Department of Social Services

Financial assistance, day care, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and other aid


Community Development Corporation of Long Island

Administers a rental relief program on behalf of Nassau County

Beginning Jan. 6, inquiry forms will be available at

Beginning Jan. 6, questions may be asked of staff at 1-800-375-1014

Economic Opportunity Commission of Nassau County, Inc.

The organization is awaiting funding for rental relief efforts, and provides other assistance, with a focus on achieving self-sufficiency.


Nassau Suffolk Law Services

Assistance with legal questions and concerns



Suffolk County Department of Social Services' Service Centers

Rent and other assistance

Coram Center

80 Middle Country Rd.

Coram, NY 11727

(631) 854-2300

Riverhead Center

893 E. Main St.

Riverhead, NY 11901-2542

(631) 852-3500

Smithtown Center

200 Wireless Blvd.

Hauppauge, NY 11788

(631) 853-8714

South West Center

2 S. 2nd St.

Deer Park, NY 11729

(631) 854-6600

Suffolk County Office of Community Development

Administers emergency COVID-19 rental assistance aid, with applications due Jan. 15


Economic Opportunity Council of Suffolk, Inc.

Rent and other assistance, with a focus on achieving self-sufficiency

SEPA Mujer

Rent and other assistance, with priority given to people who are not eligible for government assistance and single parents


Nassau Suffolk Law Services

Assistance with legal questions and concerns

Countywide: 631-232-2400

Riverhead and East End: 631-369-1112

Compiled by Sarina Trangle

A note to our community:

As a public service, this article is available for all. Newsday readers support our strong local journalism by subscribing.  Please show you value this important work by becoming a subscriber now.


Cancel anytime

More news