TODAY'S PAPER
Overcast 41° Good Evening
Overcast 41° Good Evening
Business

HBO, Showtime sue to block Pacquiao-Mayweather fight webcasts

Floyd Mayweather Jr. speaks during an arrival ceremony

Floyd Mayweather Jr. speaks during an arrival ceremony Tuesday, April 28, 2015, in Las Vegas. Photo Credit: AP

Home Box Office Inc. and Showtime Networks Inc. asked a judge to knock out the unauthorized live streaming of the May 2 fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, the most lucrative boxing match in history.

Revenue from the Las Vegas bout, generated largely from pay-per-view purchases and ticket sales, could exceed $300 million, according to Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum.

The cable networks, in a complaint filed Tuesday in Los Angeles federal court, said they became aware last week that the website boxinghd.net was advertising live Internet coverage of the fight, promising “nothing but the freshest and the most reliable high quality live links.”

Another site, sportship.org, is also accused of promoting live streaming of the welterweight title-unification battle.

Joined by Mayweather Promotions LLC and Arum’s Top Rank Inc., CBS Corp.’s Showtime and Time Warner Inc.’s HBO are asking for an immediate court order preventing the sites from streaming the fight, claiming any delay will irreparably harm them.

“It is the very nature of live sporting events that they only occur live one time,” the networks and fight promoters said in court papers.

The case is Showtime Networks Inc. v. John Doe d/b/a boxinghd.net, 15-cv-03147, U.S. District Court, Central District of California (Los Angeles).

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE