TODAY'S PAPER
49° Good Morning
NEWSDAY DEALS
YOU ARE A DEALS MEMBERVIEW DEALS
49° Good Morning
Business

Inwood residents decry OTB casino plan at rally

Inwood residents Male Timmons, left, Jonathan Riddix, center,

Inwood residents Male Timmons, left, Jonathan Riddix, center, and Paul Supreme are among those at a rally on Sunday, Oct. 25, 2015, that opposes a proposed OTB casino in the community. Credit: Steven Sunshine

Inwood residents at a rally Sunday said they are opposed to Nassau Regional Off-Track Betting Corp. building a casino in their neighborhood, citing increased traffic and quality-of-life concerns.

"It's not necessary," said lifelong Inwood resident Roy Meserole, 80. While he said he isn't opposed to legalized gambling, he contends building a casino in the heart of a residential community is a mistake.

"If people want to gamble, that's their problem, but it's not a good location."

His comments came during the rally opposing a casino in Inwood, hosted by Nassau County District 7 Democratic legislative candidate Tova Plaut.

Roughly 30 people attended the event in a field near Cerro Street and Bayview Avenue, where the gaming facility could possibly be built.

"It doesn't belong in this community; it's a blight," Plaut said. "We want to make sure it doesn't happen in our community."

She added: "Don't shove it down our throats; we should have a say."

Last month, Nassau legislative Democrats asked Nassau OTB to reveal the location of the planned temporary video slots parlor before the November election -- and before lawmakers must vote on the county's 2016 budget containing $20 million in projected revenue from the facility.

"These roads aren't equipped to handle more traffic," said longtime Inwood resident Tom Caraccio at the event.

St. John's University student Jesse Lack, 19, said a casino would change the character of Inwood.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news