TODAY'S PAPER
Overcast 53° Good Afternoon
Overcast 53° Good Afternoon
Business

Islip narrows Roberto Clemente Park cleanup bids down to 6

The Town of Islip received dozens of inquiries on its public bid to clean up an estimated 50,000 tons of contaminated debris illegally dumped at a Brentwood park and now has six official bids -- ranging from $3 million to $5.68 million -- to choose from.

The bidding period, which began Jan. 29, was extended by two weeks earlier this month to allow the grounds at Roberto Clemente Park to thaw so prospective bidders could have a better look at the site. The bids were publicly opened Thursday at Islip Town Hall West.

The six who had qualifying bids are Gramercy Group Inc. of Wantagh, at $2,992,240; Bove Industries of Setauket, at $3,086,400; Watral Brothers Inc. of Bay Shore, at $3,801,050; Rosemar Contracting Inc. of Patchogue, at $4,097,000; Tully Environmental Inc. of Flushing, at $4,998,000; and Posillico Environmental Inc. of Farmingdale, at $5,676,000, according to data provided by the town.

A team comprising Eric Hofmeister, commissioner of the town's department of environmental conservation; Inez Birbiglia, Islip's deputy parks commissioner; legal counsel; and Enviroscience Consultants Inc., a Ronkonkoma firm hired by the town last year to assist in preparing for the cleanup, will take the next two weeks to investigate and analyze each company and its respective bid. They will also check business licenses, environmental history and bidders' backgrounds and references.

Islip Town Supervisor Angie Carpenter said the group will then give its recommendation to the Islip Town Board, which will vote on the lowest responsible bidder.

"It is a top priority for us to go forward with this as quickly and as safely and as responsibly as possible," Carpenter said. "As realistically, as soon as we possibly can, we'll get the park back to its intended use for everyone to enjoy."

Executing the contract will take between 10 and 30 days, Carpenter said, with the remediation work expected to begin at the park by June. The work is estimated to take about 120 days to complete, she added.

Last year, the town board authorized $6 million in bonds to help pay for the cleanup and reconstruction of the town-owned park. It is unclear when the park will be fully rehabilitated and reopened, Carpenter said. It has been closed since April 23, 2014.

For their alleged roles in the contaminated debris ending up in the park, two ex-parks officials -- former Commissioner Joseph J. Montuori Jr. and his former secretary, Brett A. Robinson -- were indicted in December, along with four other men and four other companies.

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE