Nearly two dozen downtowns on Long Island will vie for a $10 million state grant to support their redevelopment plans, state officials said.
Twenty-one local communities entered the second round of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative. That’s one more application than last year, when Westbury beat 19 others for the $10 million.
This year’s competition consists of 10 downtowns in Suffolk County and 11 in Nassau County, officials said.
They did not reveal the identities of the downtowns.
The applications now will be reviewed by the Long Island Regional Economic Development Council, a group of business executives, union leaders and educators appointed by Cuomo in 2011 to help guide building efforts on the Island.
Council co-vice chairman Kevin Law said Monday he was pleased to see downtowns that didn’t win last year apply for the new competition.
“They were good, but we could only pick one” winner last year, he said. “We also got some new applications.”
He said a subcommittee will review the applications and will hear presentations from finalists and make recommendations to the full council.
The council is facing a July 14 deadline to put forward one downtown for consideration by the state Department of State.
Statewide, 107 applications were received for the downtown revitalization contest, down from 120 last year. One $10 million grant will be awarded in each of the state’s 10 regions.