Employees of local companies and nonprofits such as Broadridge Financial Solutions, Travelers Insurance and Winthrop University Hospital will participate in boxing matches next month, hoping to raise about $100,000 for charity.
Nearly 20 business people will box at Long Island Fight for Charity’s Main Event on Nov. 21 at 6 p.m. in the Long Island Hilton hotel in Melville.
The event, in its 13th year, is expected to draw 1,000 spectators, according to a spokeswoman. Tickets are between $135 and $250 per person and can be purchased at lifightforcharity.org or by calling 877-240-7821.
Long Island Fight for Charity has raised more than $1 million since 2003 and featured nearly 200 volunteer boxers. Last year’s event raised $167,000, which went to six charities.
Proceeds this year will help the Long Island Community Chest, Genesis School and the National Foundation for Human Potential.
Jamie Austin, co-founder of Long Island Fight for Charity, said its mission “is to raise money to help others living in our Long Island community who are in need and the positive impact our efforts will have on their lives.”
To participate, volunteer boxers must commit to training for 150 hours in advance of the event and to raise a minimum of $5,000 through sponsors and ticket sales.
They also must wear protective headgear during their bout, in which a winner will not be declared.
This week, Long Island Fight for Charity announced the matchups at a reception held at the Plainview catering hall Carlyle at the Palace.
The matchups, including the contender’s name, hometown and employer are:
- Elena “Black Widow” Lardizzone, Huntington Station, Winthrop University Hospital vs. Gayatrri “Lady Gaya” Musraca, Huntington, Broadridge Financial Solutions
- Mohammed “The Furious Fire” Ali, the Bronx, The Mobile Spa in Woodbury vs. Abraham “Ace of Spade” Ahmed, Shirley, employer was not disclosed
- Dave “The Demolisher” Compitello, West Islip, Servpro North Huntington vs. Ray “The Punisher” Rivera, Central Islip, Lessing’s at Timber Point Country Club
- Frank “The Hacker Attacker” Bravata, Ronkonkoma, Exceptional Tech Support vs. John “The Fighting Fiduciary” Redican, Bellmore, FIC Capital
- Ron “The Mazzacutioner” Mazza, Northport, Chiro Sport Rehabilitation Center vs. Michael “The Bayville Bomber” Bednar, Bayville, Catering by Michael in Bayville
- William “Willy Knuckles” Chimienti, Smithtown, Doctor Print — Konica Minolta vs. Tom “The Schorr Thing” Schorr, Huntington, W.J. Northridge Construction Corp.
- Edison “The Controller” Lucero, Bay Shore, Guaranteed Returns vs. Landon “Lights Out Litigator” Dais, New York City, the law firm of Forchelli, Curto, Deegan, Schwartz, Mineo & Terrana, LLP
- Edgar “The Bruiser” Montenegro, Lattingtown, Long Island Metro-Mass Mutual vs. Jason “The Defender” Russo, Bay Shore, the law firm of Jason Russo
- Jeff “The Tasmanian Devil” Goldstein, Middle Island, Travelers Insurance vs. opponent to be named later