The Northport-based nonprofit group Vision Long Island has recognized RXR Realty’s chief executive Scott Rechler and 11 other individuals, communities and developers for their efforts to revitalize downtowns.
The group held its 15th annual “smart growth” awards event Friday at the Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury, where Vision Long Island spotlighted the growing number of new developments rising in local business districts.
“This year’s winners demonstrate how you can revitalize downtowns with public support and economically viable projects,” Eric Alexander, the group’s director, said in a statement. “The accomplishments of these honorees provide the building blocks for many successful and emerging Long Island communities.”
Rechler, head of the Uniondale-based RXR, received the Regional Leadership Award for his work developing mixed-use downtown projects in communities such as Glen Cove, Hempstead and Huntington Station.
Vision Long Island also recognized:
- Don Barbieri, a trustee in the Village of New Hyde Park, for walkability improvements in the village;
- Alma Realty Corp. and the Village of Valley Stream, for a mixed-use project in Valley Stream;
- Conifer Realty and the Town of Babylon, for housing in downtown Copiague;
- Patchogue Chamber of Commerce, for its “Live after Five” Main Street event in Patchogue;
- Town of Islip and Greenview Properties, for a new pedestrian plaza in downtown Bay Shore;
- Building Trades Council of Nassau and Suffolk and Long Island Federation of Labor, for a job development apprenticeship program;
- Lalezarian Properties and the Village of Mineola, for two redevelopment projects in Mineola;
- Beechwood Organization and the Village of East Rockaway, for a storm-resilient waterfront development in East Rockaway;
- Terwilliger & Bartone Properties and the Village of Farmingdale, for a project in downtown Farmingdale;
- Gitto Group and the Village of Port Jefferson, for a development in uptown Port Jefferson;
- East End Arts in Riverhead and the Greater Westbury Council for the Arts, for providing arts, music and culture in downtown areas.