Thinking of starting a business? Many laid-off workers consider entrepreneurship their best way to become employed again. Following is a list of the fastest-growing service industries in 2011, from Sageworks Inc., a North Carolina financial-analysis company, which focuses on private businesses. The rankings are based on sales growth in the past 12 months.
1. Catering services and mobile food contractors, 6.5 percent
2. Graphic, interior or industrial design firms, 6.2 percent
3. Computer programming and website design consulting, 5 percent
4. Bookkeeping and accounting services, 4.9 percent
5. Landscaping, janitorial or pest-control services, 4.7 percent.
All of those segments have “favorable to very favorable” employment outlooks on Long Island, according to the state Labor Department’s 2008 to 2018 employment projections for the area.
Read more of Inside Long Island Business