Few Clouds 41° Good Afternoon
Few Clouds 41° Good Afternoon

Where small businesses can get help

Remnant of Tropix, a bar restaurant in Freeport,

Remnant of Tropix, a bar restaurant in Freeport, NY that caught fire and burned to the ground during Superstorm Sandy. (Nov. 1 2012) Photo Credit: Newsday / J. Conrad Williams, Jr.

The federal government offers help to small businesses affected by the storm, and the Empire State Development agency expects to announce more programs. Here is a list of resources:

General information on help for small businesses and others affected by the storm is available by taking the questionnaire at or by calling 800-621-FEMA (3362).

The U.S. Small Business Administration offers loans to business owners to help make up for damaged property and lost revenue. A business can receive up to $2 million in loans. For information: or 800-659-2955.

The Internal Revenue Service is offering tax counseling and other help. Taxpayers can deduct certain storm-related losses. More information is available by taking the questionnaire at or calling 866-562-5227. Also, the IRS has extended to Feb. 1 the deadline for tax returns and payments that were due Oct. 31, such as payroll and excise taxes. For information:

New York's Empire State Development Agency is helping business owners apply for federal disaster assistance, and the agency expects to announce additional state programs to help businesses affected by the storm. For information: or 631-435-0717.

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.