Spanning 2.3 acres and with water views, this four-bedroom, 2.5-bath shingle-style Montauk home is currently on the market for $18.5 million.
The property was originally designed circa 1879 as private hunting and fishing retreat for real estate developer Arthur Benson, who once owned most of The End, and the home’s first owner was Benson’s friend, William L. Andrews, founder of the Grolier Club in Manhattan.
The 3,800-square-foot house sits on grounds designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, and the house itself, known as Andrews House, was first designed by Stanford White of McKim, Mead & White, and later restored and renovated, in 1992, by Francis Fleetwood.
It’s been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1976, and joins six additional properties — Agnew Cottage, Benson House, Sanger House, Hoyt House, deForest House and Orr House — to comprise what is known as the Seven Sisters. Collectively, the homes are linked by pathways, and were all constructed not long after Andrews House, between 1882 and 1884.
The house retains much of its original woodwork and detail Linda Haugevik of Douglas Elliman Real Estate is marketing the property.