This Victorian in the center of Stony Brook village, built circa 1880 and on the market for $599,000, was recently designated an historic landmark by the Brookhaven Town Board. It was built on farmland owned by Charles E. Mills, a sea captain, who owned what is now known as Hollytree House or Holly House, next door.
The original owners of this home were Charles Mills Sleight and his wife Adela Abigail Bayles Sleight, who was a descendent of some of the area’s Colonial settlers.
Sleight owned a flourishing wheelwright and carpentry business, which worked on a house in nearby St. James designed by renowned architect Stanford White, according to the Three Village Historical Society.
The five-bedroom, 21/2-bathroom home has many original details, including a large front porch with gingerbread-style decorative rails and moldings, the original front door with two frosted-glass panels, the original fireplace and mantel, decorative arches in the double parlor and many original doors and moldings. The house is subject to a preservation easement protecting the home's facade and footprint.
It is listed with Claire Vegliante of Kerrigan Country Realty.