1. Live together while trying to sell: One spouse stays in separate quarters of the house.
2. Keep joint ownership: Wait to sell until the market improves.
3. Buy the other out: A partner refinances or takes out a home equity loan and pays off the other partner in a lump sum or in installments.
4. Rent out a room: If the house won't sell, defray housing costs by taking in a border.
5. Stop paying the mortgage: A legal option that is a last resort and should only be done after discussing with an attorney.
For more advice, click here.