Good Morning
Good Morning

Fan charged after rushing onstage at Beyoncé, Jay-Z show

Jay-Z and Beyonce attend the Grammy Awards at

Jay-Z and Beyonce attend the Grammy Awards at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Feb. 12, 2017. Credit: Getty Images for NARAS / Christopher Polk

Beyoncé and Jay-Z were uninjured at the conclusion of their concert Saturday in Atlanta after an audience member attempting to follow the music stars offstage was subdued by backup dancers and security personnel.

"Thank you to all the fans for your concern," Beyoncé's spokeswoman, Yvette Noel-Schure, posted on Instagram. "They are fine and looking forward to the show tomorrow," she added, referring to the Sunday concert also taking place at Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium as part of the married duo's OTR II tour.

Audience concert videos posted online show a man police later identified as Anthony Charles Thomas Maxwell, 26, wearing a white T-shirt and black shorts, walking briskly up steps at center stage and then going around and behind some backup dancers. A man in dark clothing, evidently security personnel, attempts to intercept him, but the intruder breaks into a run and punches the security man.

Dancers converge on the intruder and a scuffle ensues until more security men arrive and steer the dancers away. Security personnel then surround the intruder, now on the ground. One appears to kick him, and then security lifts the man and begins removing him from the stage.

Atlanta Police Officer Lisa Bender told The Associated Press Maxwell, who was treated for minor injuries, initially was cited for disorderly conduct and released, but police then added a charge of simple battery. No other injuries were reported.

Some outlets Sunday, including CNN and E! News, initially posted a statement attributed to "the tour" without naming promoters Live Nation Global Touring, Parkwood Entertainment and Roc Nation, which called the intruder "intoxicated" and said the stars did not press charges.

However, Noel-Schure, who additionally represents Beyoncé's Parkwood Entertainment, told Newsday in an email, "We did not release a statement. There was a fake account on Twitter that erroneously positioned itself as such. … . The only 'statement' came from me on IG assuring that the couple was fine."

The Twitter account Beyoncé Hub (@theyoncehub) at 6:49 a.m. Sunday had posted what it claimed to be an "official statement on last night's incident," but a URL in the graphical-text statement went to a nonexistent page on Beyoncé's official website.

Live Nation and Roc Nation did not respond to Newsday requests for comment. CNN, when alerted of the hoax, removed the purported statement and issued a correction.

More Entertainment