Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter reportedly has settled a lawsuit filed against him by a bouncer he allegedly punched and tried to choke after being thrown out of a Key West bar in January.
Carter, 36, made a six-figure payout, TMZ.com said Tuesday. The website said the singer’s misdemeanor battery charge will be expunged if Carter completes 25 hours of community service.
He was arrested Jan. 13 after a scuffle in which he and another man had been escorted from the Hog’s Breath Saloon after displaying what witnesses called intoxicated and aggressive behavior. The two blocked the bar entrance and argued with staff until Carter threw “what appeared to be a punch” at bouncer Skylar Carden, according to the police report.
One witness told police Carter then “grabbed [Carden] by the throat,” leading other bouncers to take the singer to the ground. Key West police arrested Carter, who pleaded not guilty and was released on $1,500 bail. He tweeted on Jan. 23, “I am human and at times it can be a struggle to balance a healthy lifestyle. I’m not perfect and for that I am sorry.”
Carden sued days later “for the physical damages which Carter inflicted on him and he’s also suing for pain and suffering and for mental anguish,” the bouncer’s attorney, Mark G. DiCowden, told Newsday at the time.