Probing DJ prank in death of Kate Middleton's nurse

advertisement | advertise on newsday

The reverberations from the death of a nurse who accepted a hoax phone call about the ill Duchess of Cambridge spread through two countries Sunday, as Australian authorities said London police had contacted them about a possible investigation, The Associated Press reports.

The Australian radio station behind the call also announced an immediate review of its broadcast practices after the debacle, which began with a prank call made Tuesday to the hospital where the former Kate Middleton was being treated for acute morning sickness.

Two radio DJs managed to impersonate Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles and received confidential information about the duchess' medical condition, which was broadcast on-air. The prank took a dark twist three days later with the death of the nurse, Jacintha Saldanha, 46.

The death has sparked an angry backlash against the DJs, who have been taken off the air indefinitely.

After an emergency meeting Sunday, Max Moore-Wilton, chairman of the 2DayFM radio station's parent company Southern Cross Austereo, said in a letter to the hospital's chairman that the company will cooperate with any investigation.

"It is too early to know the full details leading to this tragic event and we are anxious to review the results of any investigation that may be made available to us or made public," he wrote. "I can assure you we are taking immediate action and reviewing the broadcast and processes involved."

Australian police Sunday confirmed they had been contacted by London police and said they would cooperate.

Police have not yet determined Saldanha's cause of death, but people have been making the assumption she died because of stress from the call.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, apologized for the prank before Saldanha's death. A spokeswoman said Sunday the two want to speak out about Saldanha's death.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority, which regulates radio broadcasting, says it received complaints from around the world and is considering whether it should launch an investigation.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Separately, Prince William on Sunday pulled out of attending the British Military Tournament, billed as "the largest display of military theatre in the world," citing Kate's illness. The duchess has been resting and has not been seen in public since leaving the hospital Thursday.

St. James' Palace said last week that the duchess was not yet 12 weeks pregnant.

Coming soon: Newsday's Entertainment newsletter, for the latest on celebs, TV, more.

Comments

Newsday.com now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: