TODAY'S PAPER
42° Good Afternoon
42° Good Afternoon
EntertainmentCelebrities

Georgia man says R. Kelly's manager threatened him

The man, Timothy Savage, was involved with Lifetime's "Surviving R. Kelly" series, which details abuse allegations against the R&B singer. Meanwhile, a Chicago prosecutor is calling on Kelly accusers to come forward.

R&B singer R. Kelly performs at the BET

R&B singer R. Kelly performs at the BET Awards in Los Angeles in June 2013. Photo Credit: Invision/AP / Frank Micelotta

STOCKBRIDGE, Ga. — A Georgia man involved with a recent documentary detailing abuse allegations against R&B singer R. Kelly told police the singer’s manager threatened him.  

Timothy Savage told an officer on Jan. 3 that Don Russell had texted him saying it would be best for him and his family if the documentary didn’t air, according to a Stockbridge police report.  

Savage said he and his wife were involved with Lifetime’s “Surviving R. Kelly” series. The series, which aired earlier this month, looks at the singer’s history and allegations that he has sexually abused women and girls. He has denied wrongdoing.  

Russell called Savage while the officer was there and Savage put the phone on speaker so that the officer could listen, the police report says. It went on to say that Russell accused Savage of lying to Lifetime and said that if Savage continued to support the series, Russell and Kelly would be forced to release information that would show Savage was a liar and that would ruin him, his reputation, his business and his family.  

Contact information for Russell could not be immediately found.  

The report says the case is being forwarded to the criminal investigations division for review.

Also on Tuesday, a Chicago prosecutor asked any possible victims or witnesses of alleged abuse by Kelly to contact her office.  

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx spoke to reporters Tuesday after watching the Lifetime documentary. Asked about her reaction to “Surviving R. Kelly,” Foxx said she was “sickened.”  

But Foxx also said no active investigation is underway and that launching one would require victims and witnesses. Kelly is a Chicago native who still owns a house in the Chicago area.  

A Cook County jury acquitted Kelly of all 14 counts of child pornography in 2008. Prosecutors had argued that a videotape showed him engaged in graphic sex acts with a girl as young as 13. Kelly and the alleged victim, in her 20s at the time of the trial, denied it was them. 

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More Entertainment