TODAY'S PAPER
29° Good Morning
CLOSINGS
29° Good Morning
EntertainmentCelebrities

Ryan Phillippe’s model ex Elsie Hewitt files lawsuit claiming assault

Ryan Phillippe attends the launch party for Pop

Ryan Phillippe attends the launch party for Pop & Suki in Los Angeles on Nov. 2, 2016. Credit: Getty Images for Pop & Suki / Frazer Harrison

“Shooter” star Ryan Phillippe’s former girlfriend, model Elsie Hewitt, has filed a lawsuit alleging the actor attacked her and twice threw her down a set of stairs.

The London-born Hewitt, 21, who was June’s Playboy centerfold, said in a suit filed Monday in Los Angeles that the two began dating in April. Phillippe, now 43, exhibited jealousy, she contended, exacerbated by what she said was his substance abuse, including the use of steroids, that resulted in “mood swings and bouts of anger.”

According to the suit, posted at TheBlast.com, Hewitt and an unnamed friend went to Phillippe’s home in the early morning hours of July 4 to retrieve some belongings, letting themselves in using the electronic code Phillippe had given her. Phillippe greeted them and began helping Hewitt, but an agitated conversation ensued, she alleged. Hewitt said Phillippe then threw her down a staircase, manhandled her when she came back up the stairs for her belongings, and threw her down a second time.

Hewitt and her friend left, and Hewitt checked in to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center emergency room. Police there examined her injuries and filed a report, later issuing an emergency protective order against Phillippe that expired July 12. Hewitt is suing for a minimum of $1 million, alleging assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Phillippe’s spokeswoman denied the claims. “As a staunch advocate for the health, well-being and equality of women, Ryan is completely devastated that these false allegations have been made and circulated,” Nicole Perna told Newsday in a statement. “Domestic violence is an incredibly serious issue and fabricated and proven false claims should not be used to unjustly slander the falsely accused. The claims are false.”

The actor, who previously was married to Oscar winner Reese Witherspoon and has two children with her and another with ex-girlfriend Alexis Knapp, has not commented on social media.

Hewitt on Sunday tweeted, “Driving myself crazy,” and the following day posted a long Instagram message saying in part, “[T]here are some tribulations I’ve been facing recently . . . Everyone is on their own path and has their own pain.”

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More Entertainment