Scarlett Johansson, whose name was mentioned in Dylan Farrow's open letter last month accusing adoptive father Woody Allen of molestation two decades ago, has broken her silence about being included in the controversy.
"I think it's irresponsible to take a bunch of actors that will have a Google alert on and to suddenly throw their name into a situation that none of us could possibly knowingly comment on," the actress told the UK newspaper The Guardian in an interview published Saturday. "That just feels irresponsible to me."
Johansson, 29, who starred in Allen's "Match Point" (2005), "Scoop" (2006) and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" (2008), was one of several actors Farrow named in her New York Times letter. "What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson?" Farrow wrote in part.
"I'm unaware that there's been a backlash," Johansson said in response to a question about public sentiment toward Allen. "I think he'll continue to know what he knows about the situation, and I'm sure the other people involved have their own experience with it. It's not like this is somebody that's been prosecuted and found guilty of something, and you can then go, 'I don't support this lifestyle or whatever.' I mean, it's all guesswork."
The actress said the controversy had had no impact on her feelings toward Allen, 78, for whose works she has expressed admiration. "I don't know anything about it," she said. "It would be ridiculous for me to make any kind of assumption one way or the other."