TODAY'S PAPER
Broken Clouds 47° Good Evening
Broken Clouds 47° Good Evening
EntertainmentCelebrities

‘Charles in Charge’ actor Alexander Polinsky alleges he was abused by Scott Baio

Actor says he “received regular verbal attacks,” calls behavior “abhorrent.”

Alexander Polinsky, left, on Oct. 27, 2017, in

Alexander Polinsky, left, on Oct. 27, 2017, in Parsippany, N.J., and Scott Baio in Thousand Oaks, Calif., on Nov. 21, 2016. Photo Credit: Composite: Getty Images / Bobby Bank, left, and Getty Images for Changemaker Group LLC / Tommaso Boddi

Another actor from the 1980s sitcom “Charles in Charge” has made allegations of abuse against that show’s star Scott Baio.

In a statement from Alexander Polinsky, 43, that was given on Wednesday to CBS’ “The Talk,” the actor wrote: “I received regular verbal attacks, mental abuse and I also suffered a physical assault at the hands of Scott Baio. There is no excuse for his behavior. It is abhorrent.” Polinsky also offered support to Nicole Eggert, 46, who was on the show to discuss her claims that Baio, 57, sexually abused her when she was a minor.

“Working on the set of ‘Charles in Charge’ from age 11 to 15 was no picnic. It was a toxic environment. I witnessed Scott Baio acting inappropriately toward Nicole Eggert during my first year of working on the show,” Polinsky also included in his statement. “I walked in on them together behind the set. Nicole was on Scott’s lap and he did not appreciate my intrusion. He yelled at me and called me various homophobic slurs.”

“The Talk” host Sara Gilbert, who read the statement, became emotional while speaking, explaining Polinsky “is actually a dear friend of mine.”

Eggert said on the program that Polinsky accompanied her to the police station when she filed a report against Baio and that he made his own police report supporting her charges.

Newsday has reached out to Baio’s representatives for comment on Polinsky’s claims but have yet to receive a response.

Eggert first made allegations last month in a series of tweets that Baio had molested her from the time she was 14 to 17. Baio has denied all of her allegations and said he had consensual sex with her once after she had turned 18, the legal age of consent.

More Entertainment