Charlie Sheen has entered rehab and his top-rated comedy, "Two and a Half Men" has temporarily suspended production.
"As a preventative measure, Charlie Sheen has entered a rehabilitation facility," his publicist Stan Rosenfield wrote in a four-sentence statement that did not specify why Sheen, 44, was seeking treatment. The statement sought privacy for the embattled actor, The Associated Press reports.
In a joint statement, Nina Tassler, CBS Entertainment president; Peter Roth, Warner Bros. Television president; and Chuck Lorre, creator/executive producer of "Two and a Half Men," said, "[We] support Charlie Sheen in his decision today to begin voluntary inpatient care at a treatment center. We wish him nothing but the best as he deals with this personal matter. Production on 'Two and a Half Men' will be temporarily suspended."
The move comes roughly two months after Sheen was arrested after a fight with his wife at his Aspen, Colo., home. Prosecutors later charged the actor with felony menacing and misdemeanor charges of third-degree assault and criminal mischief. The most serious charge carries a maximum 3-year prison term.
Sheen's wife, Brooke Mueller Sheen, is also in rehab for an undisclosed reason, her attorney Yale Galanter said. She is still asking that the charges be dismissed, he said.
Until yesterday, Sheen's legal problems hadn't disrupted taping of "Two and a Half Men," one of CBS' top shows and television's top-rated comedy.
Meanwhile, Galanter is threatening to file a lawsuit against the rehab center where Mueller Sheen had been staying, alleging "a major breach of confidentiality" People magazine reports.
Mueller Sheen was doing well at The Canyon rehabilitation center in Malibu, Galanter said, until details of her stay leaked out. "I am livid," Galanter told People. "These people are buffoons."Representatives for The Canyon did not return calls.
Mueller Sheen transferred out of The Canyon on Sunday and went to what Galanter called "a more secure, confidential and private environment.