British singer Zayn Malik, who has spoken out about the anxiety disorder that has occasionally forced him to cancel concert appearances, now says he has overcome the malady.
“I now have no problem with anxiety,” the 24-year-old former One Direction member told the weekend Style magazine of London’s The Sunday Times. “It was something I was dealing with in the band.” Amid lingering acrimony, Malik quit the boy band in March 2015 for a solo career.
He said he was gratified that his forthrightness about his condition met with public acceptance. “People saw strength in that,” he told Style, “and they didn’t seem to expect it from a guy, but they expect it from a female, which to me is crazy. We’re all human. People are often afraid to admit difficulties, but I don’t believe that there should be a struggle with anything that’s the truth.”
Citing anxiety, Malik canceled his June 11, 2016, performance at London’s Summertime Ball as well as a solo concert that had been scheduled to take place that Oct. 7 at the Autism Rocks Arena in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
He also says he no longer suffers from what he described in last year’s essay collection “Zayn” as an eating disorder. “It wasn’t specifically an eating disorder,” he now states. “It was a control thing. Every area of my life was so regimented and controlled, it was the one area where I could say, ‘No, I’m not eating that.’ Once I got over the control, the eating just came back into place, super-naturally.”
After amending his comment — “Not supernaturally! Just really naturally” — he went on to say that, “I came back to the UK and spent some time with my mum and got some TLC, and she cooked me food and I got back in touch, mentally, with a lot of the things I’d lost.”
Malik, who released the solo album “Mind of Mine” last March, added that he is working on his next album for release this year.