An owner of an Irish newspaper that published topless photos of British royal Kate Middleton has moved to close down the publication, even as an Italian magazine said it would run 30 additional photos Monday.
Publisher Richard Desmond, whose company co-owns the Irish Daily Star with the Dublin-based Independent News & Media, said in a statement Saturday, "I am very angry at the decision to publish these photographs and am taking immediate steps to close down the joint-venture."
The paper republished 13 photos from the French magazine Closer showing Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, sunbathing topless at a French chateau.
Meanwhile, the Italian magazine Chi -- owned by former Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi's media group Mondadori -- said it will run 26 pages of previously unseen photos Monday, The Associated Press reported.
Mondadori chairwoman Marina Berlusconi responded to criticism by rival Italian daily La Repubblica, by writing in a letter that her father "is a politician and, with all respect, is busy with other things and has no time to think about a photo reportage," and that her company "is a publisher that uses to the best of its ability the freedom that its shareholders have always given it."
A spokeswoman for Middleton and her husband, Prince William, said in a statement that the couple's lawyers would file a lawsuit in the French courts Monday. "The complaint concerns the taking of photographs of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge whilst on holiday and the publication of those photographs in breach of their privacy," she said.