BAYPORT AERODROME SOCIETY’S LIVING AVIATION MUSEUM, 60 Vitamin Dr., off Church Street, Bayport, bayportaerodromesociety.org. Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sun., or by appointment. A 24-hangar complex with antique and experimental aircraft; two hangars with exhibits on Long Island’s aviation history. Check website for events. Fee Free, donations welcome.
THE BIG DUCK, 1012 Flanders Rd. (Route 24), Flanders, 631-852-3377, suffolkcountyny.gov/parks. Hours 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, but subject to change so call ahead. Built in 1931, the Big Duck was where the Martin and Jeule Maurer family sold their Pekin ducks on Riverhead’s West Main Street. In 1936, the Maurers moved the building to Route 24 in Flanders. Roadside architecture that represents the goods sold inside a building is now known as “duck architecture.” Fee Free.
CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF THE EAST END, 376 Bridgehampton-Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton, 631-537-8250, cmee.org. Hours 9 a.m.-5 p.m., except Tue. From wind science to firefighting, farming to fishing, family concerts and indoor play space, the museum celebrates learning. Fee $12; free younger than 1.
COLD SPRING HARBOR LABORATORY DNA LEARNING CENTER, 334 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor, 516-367-5170, dnalc.org. Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mon.-Fri. A free, self-guided exhibit offers insight into the study of DNA and human origins. Check the website for science programs and guided Ötzi the Iceman tours. Fee Free.
CUSTER INSTITUTE AND OBSERVATORY, 1115 Main Bayview Rd., off Route 25, Southold, 631-765-2626, custerobservatory.org Hours Dusk-midnight Sat. all year; call ahead for group tours. High-powered telescopes, portable planetarium shows, lectures, classes, concerts and art exhibits. Observatories of Long Island’s three oldest astronomy groups. Fee $5, $3 younger than 14; memberships available.
EAST END SEAPORT MUSEUM, Third Street at Ferry Dock, Greenport, eastendseaport.org, 631-477- 2100. Hours 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Fri.-Sun. through Oct.; by appointment Nov.-April. 750-gallon saltwater aquarium; two Fresnel lighthouse lenses; gift shop; changing exhibits, children’s room. Weekly lighthouse cruises and tours through Oct. (includes Halloween costume party cruises), reservations suggested. Fee Call or check website.
FIRE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE, east of Robert Moses State Park, Field 5, Fire Island, 631-661-4876, fireislandlighthouse.com. Features part of the Fire Island National Seashore. Display covers history of Fire Island Lighthouse and U.S. Lifesaving Service (pre-Coast Guard). Long Island’s tallest lighthouse has 182 winding steps. Footwear required for walking tours. Last tower tour is 1 hour before closing. Hours: 9:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. daily through Dec. 31. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. daily Jan. and Feb. Fee $8, $4 older than 65, younger than 12 and for members of the military. Must wear flat shoes; minimum height is 42 inches. Museum and lens building are free.
HALLOCKVILLE MUSEUM FARM, 6038 Sound Ave., Riverhead, 631-298-5292, hallockville.com Hours Vary, check website. 19 historic buildings on this 28-acre farm represent North Fork farm life from the 1760s to the 1930s. The Hallock Homestead is surrounded by more than 500 acres of preserved land. The Cichanowicz Farmhouse and Naugles Barn represent the Eastern European immigrant farming experience. Events: Country Parlor Craft Show at Naugles Barn, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Nov. 23-25 and Dec. 1-2. Autumn Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. Nov. 17. Fees Vary, call or check website.
HUNTINGTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUMS, 209 Main St., Huntington, 631-427-7045, huntingtonhistoricalsociety.org Hours Historical Society Sewing & Trade School, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon-Fri.; Kissam House, by appointment; Conklin House, 1-4 p.m. Fri. and Sun; research center and library archives, 1-5 p.m. Mon. and Thur., call ahead. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building, 1-4 p.m. Wed-Fri. Huntington Historical Society Sewing & Trade School, 209 Main St., is one of the country’s first vocational schools. Genealogy workshops usually meet monthly; call ahead. Conklin Farm House Museum, circa 1750, 2 High St. (at New York Avenue). Period rooms with 18th and 19th century furnishings, table and chair used by George Washington during his 1790 Long Island tour. The 1795 Kissam House Museum, 434 Park Ave., is noted for Egyptian Revival woodwork. Fee Sewing and Trade School (home of the research center and library) $5; Kissam House (by appointment) $5; Conklin House $5, $3 seniors and students. Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building, free.
ISLIP ART MUSEUM, 50 Irish Lane, East Islip, 631-224-5402, islipartmuseum.org Hours 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Tue.-Fri., noon-4 p.m. Sat., closed Sun.-Mon. Housed in historic Brookwood Hall, the museum specializes in avant-garde art, with about five exhibits a year, plus a permanent collection. Exhibit: Diaspora, Oct. 18-Dec. 31; opening reception 1-4 p.m. Sat., Oct. 20. Fee $5.
LONG ISLAND EXPLORIUM, 101 E. Broadway, Port Jefferson, 631-331-3277, longislandexplorium.org Hours 1-5 p.m. Sat.-Sun. and most school holidays. Hands-on interactive exhibits explore Long Island’s unique maritime heritage. Learn about horseshoe crabs, build a bridge, send a message or set sail in a tactile boat. Fee $5, free younger than 1.
LONG ISLAND MARITIME MUSEUM, 86 West Ave., West Sayville, 631-854-4974, limaritime.org Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Mon.-Sat., noon-4 p.m. Sun. all year. Focus is on Long Island’s maritime history. Exhibits include historic wooden boats, sailboats, an oyster culling house and turn-of-the-century bayman’s cottage. Museum is home to the oyster sloop Priscilla (public and private tours available). Halloween Boat Burning: 5-9 p.m. Oct. 26, $5; Dutch Heritage and Holiday Traditions: lantern tour and bell ringers music, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 8, $5. Reservations required. Fee $8; $6 seniors.
LONG ISLAND MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, HISTORY & CARRIAGES, 1200 Rte. 25A, Stony Brook, 631-751-0066, longislandmuseum.org Hours 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thur.-Sat., noon-5 p.m. Sun. through Dec. 31; check website for hours after Dec. 31. The Carriage Museum displays 100 horse-drawn carriages, including European royal coaches, stagecoaches and firefighting vehicles. Exhibits: Elias Pelletreau Long Island Silversmith & Entrepreneur, through Dec. 30; Shaping Silver: Contemporary Metalsmithing, through Dec. 30; Silver Linings: Artists Search for Meaning, Nov. 30-Jan. 27, 2019; Long Road to Freedom: Slavery on Long Island, Feb. 15- May 27, 2019; Walt Whitman’s Arcadia: Long Island through the Eyes of a Poet & Painters, Feb. 15-Sept. 2, 2019. Fee $10; $7 seniors, $5 students; free in Jan.
LONGWOOD ESTATE, Longwood and Smith roads, Ridge, 631-924-1820, brookhaven.org Hours 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Mon.-Fri. all year. Historic park, 35 acres, includes the manor house, circa 1790, one-room schoolhouse and barns. Barnyard Scare, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Oct. 27, $10, bring child-size clothing to make a scarecrow. Santa Comes to Longwood, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 1, $5, includes a train display. Build a Gingerbread House, 10 a.m. Dec. 12, $10. Fee Free; cost for some activities.
MIGHTY MIDGETS MINI CARS MUSEUM, 287 Station Rd., Bellport, 631-803-8588. Hours Noon-4 p.m. Fri.-Sun., all year. Large collection of ¼- to ¾-scaled cars and trucks from around the world, including antique, classic, muscle, and exotic gas- and electric-powered vehicles. Displays are set by timeline and consist of hand-painted murals thoughtfully accented by mannequins and various types of automobilia. Fee $5, free younger than 5.
MONTAUK POINT LIGHTHOUSE, 2000 Montauk Hwy., Montauk, montauklighthouse.com, 631-668-2544. Hours 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. daily until Oct. 8; 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon., Fri.-Sun. Oct. 12-29; 10:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Sat.-Sun. Nov. 3-25. Features Lighthouse was commissioned by George Washington in 1792 and construction was completed in 1796. The museum and gift shop in its base is run by the Montauk Historical Society and features early lighthouse photos and displays. Don’t miss the Fresnel lens and a 15-foot-long model of lighthouses surrounding Long Island. Visitors can climb to the top for sweeping vistas. Lighting at the Lighthouse at sunset, approximately 4 p.m. Nov. 24. Christmas at the Lighthouse, Nov. 25. Fee $11, $8 ages 62 and older, $5 for those 41 inches to age 12, free shorter than 41 inches. Minimum height of 41 inches required to climb the tower steps.
THE MUSEUM AT GUILD HALL, 158 Main St., East Hampton, 631-324-0806, guildhall.org. Hours 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon. and Thur.-Sat., noon-5 p.m. Sun., closed Tue.-Wed. Fee Free.
PARRISH ART MUSEUM, 279 Montauk Hwy., Water Mill, 631-283-2118, parrishart.org. Hours 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. daily, until 8 p.m. Fri.; closed Tue. Besides its permanent collection, the museum features special exhibits, live music, films, talks and art classes for adults and children. Exhibition: Keith Sonnier: Until Today, sculpture and installation from the pioneer of neon, through Jan. 27. Fee $12, $9 seniors, free children younger than 18 and students with ID.
RAILROAD MUSEUM OF LONG ISLAND (RIVERHEAD), 416 Griffing Ave., Riverhead, 631-727-7920, rmli.org (also at 440 Fourth St. at the tracks, Greenport, check website for phone and hours). Hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sat. through Nov. 17 and Dec. 10-11. Retired railroad equipment on display outside: 3 steam locomotives, 2 LIRR diesel locomotives, the first LIRR all-aluminum double-decker passenger car, baggage cars, passenger car used in the LIRR steam-to-diesel conversion ceremony in 1955, 2 retired M-1 cars, caboose and a LIRR GP-38 simulator. Ride the 1964-65 World’s Fair mini train. Holiday Open House With Santa, 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 10-11, free. Fee $10, $5 ages 5-12, free 4 and younger.
ROGERS MANSION, SOUTHAMPTON HISTORY MUSEUM, 17 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, 631-283-2494, southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org Hours 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wed.-Sat. through Dec.; closed Jan.-Feb. Reopens March 6, 2019. The Greek Revival mansion was built in 1843 as a whaling captain’s home. Period rooms are furnished in turn-of-the century style. Exhibit: Morris Studio, “The Unseen Collection, Photographs of Southampton 1892-1940.” Fee $4, free students 17 and younger and members.
SAG HARBOR WHALING MUSEUM, 200 Main St., Sag Harbor, sagharborwhalingmuseum.org, 631-725-0770. Hours 10 a.m.-5 p.m., May 1-Oct. 31, last admission at 4:30 p.m. Standing exhibits explore the vibrant history of the village (the largest whaling port in the state) from pre-settlement to the 20th century with paintings, textiles, antique toys, whaling gear, scrimshaw and other items. Museum treasure hunt for kids. Check website for exhibit details. Fee $6 adults, $5 seniors and students $5, $2 11 and younger.
SAGTIKOS MANOR, Montauk Highway, West Bay Shore, 631-854-0939, sagtikosmanor.org. Hours Call or check website. The manor’s history spans from 1692 to the present. British forces occupied it briefly during the Revolutionary War. President Washington stayed there during his tour of Long Island in 1790. On the manor grounds, view the carriage house, buttery, walled garden and family cemetery. Fall Festival and “Mourning at the Manor,” 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 7, $10, $5 ages 60 and older and children ages 5-12. Holiday House Tour, “Christmas with the First Ladies,” Dec. 8-9, tours start at 10:30 a.m., last tour at 2:30 p.m., $25, $20 ages 60 and older and students, $8 ages 5-12 $8.
SHINNECOCK NATION CULTURAL CENTER AND MUSEUM, 100 Montauk Hwy., Shinnecock Reservation, Southampton, Facebook/shinnecockmuseum.
Hours 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fri.-Sun., email email@example.com for guided tours. Museum houses 10,000 years of Shinnecock history, features “A Walk With the People,” containing murals by Shinnecock artist David Bunn Martine, a birchbark canoe, mounted animals, implements, jewelry, beadwork, weavings and photos of ancestors and elders. “My Spirit Dances Forever” contains a large collection of Plains Indian sculptures donated by Frederick DeMatteis. Fee $8, $5.50 ages 55 and older, $4.75 ages 5-12, free younger than 5.
SOUTHOLD INDIAN MUSEUM, 1080 Main Bayview Rd., Southold, southoldindianmuseum.org, 631-765-5577. Hours 1:30-4:30 p.m. Sun. all year, and by appointment. Visit website for programs and announcements. Collection of artifacts from earliest Long Island inhabitants 10,000 years ago to present day. Included is the handiwork of Eskimos, Midwestern and Western American Indians and native tribes of Central and South America. Fee $5 adults, free for students in kindergarten-grade 12.
SUFFOLK COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, 300 W. Main St., Riverhead, suffolkcountyhistoricalsociety.org, 631-727-2881. Hours Museum and gift shop open all year, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Wed.-Sat., research library open 12:30-4:30 p.m. Wed.-Sat. History museum with a growing collection of permanent artifacts and alternating exhibits; an art gallery; a research library and archives; programs, lectures and workshops. The research library houses a collection of historic materials available to visitors. Exhibits: Film “Silver Screens of Suffolk,” in Staaf Gallery, Oct.-April 2019; “Long Island Express” 80th Anniversary of the 1938 hurricane features a collection of photos, artifacts, and memories from those that lived through it, in the Gish Gallery, Oct.-Nov. Fee $5, $3 seniors, $10 families, $1 ages 17 and younger, $2 use fee for archival library.
SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE MUSEUM, 30 Yaphank Ave., Yaphank, 631-852-6308, nwsdy.li/suffolkpd. Hours Self-guided tours 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Mon.-Fri. The museum traces the evolution of policing from sheriffs in the 1600s to today’s police officers. Features interpretive displays, re-creation of 1927 police station house and a restored 1960 police car and booth. Visitors can sit on a police motorcycle for photos. Fee Free.
VANDERBILT MUSEUM AND PLANETARIUM, 180 Little Neck Rd., Centerport, vanderbiltmuseum.org, 631-854-5579. Hours Noon-4 p.m. Tue., Sat., Sun. Nov. 5-April 1, 2019; Planetarium 2 p.m. Tue., 8, 9 and 10 p.m. Fri.-Sat., noon, 1, 2 3, and 4 p.m. Sat.-Sun. Open additional days during school holidays; closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day and Easter Sunday. The Vanderbilt is a marine and natural history museum. In addition to the Marine Museum, one wing of the former home of William K. Vanderbilt II has three natural history galleries (one displays a 3,000-year-old Egyptian mummy) plus 18 Habitat and Stoll Wing wild-animal dioramas. Check website for schedule of events. Fee Museum and grounds $8, $7 students and seniors, $5 ages 12 and younger; for planetarium or mansion tours, add $6 a person; for additional planetarium show and guided mansion tour, add $12 a person.
WALT WHITMAN BIRTHPLACE STATE HISTORIC SITE AND INTERPRETIVE CENTER, 246 Old Walt Whitman Rd., Huntington Station, waltwhitman.org, 631-427-5240. Hours 1-4 p.m. Wed.-Fri., 11 a.m.- 4 p.m. Sat.-Sun. Whitman’s birthplace is a farmhouse built in 1810 by his father and restored in 2001. View 19th century furnishings, original well and unusual architecture. Modern Interpretive Center has 130 Whitman portraits, a printing press, Whitman’s voice on tape and his schoolmaster’s desk. Guided tours, museum shop/bookstore, picnic area. Handicapped accessible. Fee $6, $5 seniors and veterans and groups of more than seven people, $4 students, free younger than 5; free parking.
WHALING MUSEUM AND EDUCATION CENTER, 301 Main St. (Route 25A), Cold Spring Harbor, 631-367-3418, cshwhalingmuseum.org. Hours Noon-4 p.m. Tue.-Fri.., 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sat.-Sun.; closed Mon. Museum memorabilia includes a 19th century 30-foot whaleboat, harpoons, scrimshaw and a diorama of the whaling port in its 1850 heyday. Exhibits: “If I Were a Whaler” and “Thar She Blows” incorporate hands-on activities and interactive elements (including “smell-o-vision”). New exhibit: “Heroines at the Helm,” celebrates 100 years of women’s suffrage. Fee $6, $5 ages 4-18 and seniors, special programs may have additional fees; check website.
WILLIAM FLOYD ESTATE, 245 Park Dr., off Neighborhood Road, Mastic Beach, 631-399-2030, nwsdy.li/wfestate. Hours Tours available 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. Fri.-Sun., including Veterans Day. Exhibit: “William Floyd Estate-A Celebration of 300 Years 1718-2018.” Winter programs on the property will be a variety of walking tours, from bird programs to cultural and natural history programs. Call for program schedule by mid-Jan. All programs free. Ancestral home of a signer of the Declaration of Independence, this preserved 613-acre estate was occupied by the Floyd family from 1718 to 1976. House available for guided tour only; self-guided tours of grounds, cemetery and out buildings. Fee Free.