Production on the sixth “Mission: Impossible” movie may be delayed from between six weeks to three months following star Tom Cruise’s accident while shooting a stunt, four people with knowledge of the situation told Variety.
Paramount Pictures said production “will go on hiatus until Cruise makes a complete recovery,” The Associated Press reports. The studio said Cruise broke his ankle.
TMZ.com posted a video Sunday of Cruise, 55, in a safety harness taking a running leap from a scaffold toward a building rooftop. He falls short, slamming into the building’s side, then pulls himself onto the roof and begins limping. With the help of two crew members, he swings back over to the scaffold, where he limps off the scaffold onto the attached rooftop without assistance.
Cruise prides himself on doing many of his own stunts. For the fourth film in the series, “Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol” (2011), he did wirework up the side of the Burj Khalifa Tower in Dubai, the world’s tallest building at more than 2,700 feet. For the 2015 follow-up, “Mission: Impossible — Rogue Nation,” Cruise, in a digitally erased safety harness, hangs from an Airbus A400M four-engine turboprop as it takes off and climbs 5,000 feet in the air.
Variety noted that the delay could be problematic for fellow cast members, including Simon Pegg, Henry Cavill and Rebecca Ferguson, who have film commitments after this movie’s scheduled end of production this fall. Cruise himself goes on to shoot a previously announced sequel to his 1986 Navy-pilot hit “Top Gun.”
The “Mission: Impossible” film could still make its planned July 27, 2018, release, Variety said, if the filmmakers were able to shift focus onto postproduction work now and shoot Cruise’s remaining scenes later.